Sunday, January 26, 2014

GladEye Press Launch & Other Things Worth Mentioning


26 January 2014


I confess. I have been quite remiss. Not that anyone may have noticed, mind you, but I have not posted a new blog entry since around March of 2013, and now here it is nearly March of 2014. Indeed, a lot has been happening in my life. Things changed dramatically in September when my husband was laid off from his job of 13 years. The company brought in some "change agent" knucklehead CEO who decided they no longer needed to publish books. He eliminated the entire book department. Long story short, he received a fairly reasonable severance package and we cashed in his 401K. Because his job was not easily replaceable (according to the employment office) he has been able to draw unemployment while we're starting up the business, which I'll tell you about later, and he doesn't have to report any earnings (not that there are any yet) or look for another job. So that was the impetus for moving forward on the business--neither of us is employed and nobody wants to hire you if you're over 50.


So there was that. Then, my brother died suddenly right after Thanksgiving of a heart attack. He was 60. The funeral was in Arizona and I couldn't afford to fly out there, so I contributed $$ to his stepdaughter, so that she could at least attend. I was telling my friend Gail about Rusty and she made an astute observation about him just wearing himself out. He had pretty much faced adversity his entire life. When he died, he was working three jobs to make ends meet. He died on the job, alone, which was very sad. I wrote a piece that Jennifer read for me at the funeral (see below).


The next thing that happened was my husband learned he has prostate cancer, so in between doctor's appointments, scans, starting a new business, grieving the loss of my brother, along came xmas. Needless to say, by the time the ball dropped on New Year's eve, we were not at all disappointed to see 2013 come to a close.




Now we are embarking on a new business venture together.
There are probably a million little details to starting up a business, but now finally, we have arrived at the good fun part, which is the business of actually making books. We launched GladeEye Press, an independent press that publishes selected non-fiction books in all formats for the education and entertainment of the Pacific Northwest audience. Our first product is the Oregon Festivals 2014 calendar, which can be purchased here

We are also on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn. We received our first press coverage today in the business section of The Register-Guard.

We have tons of great ideas for northwest-based books; a lot of stories to tell, and we know we have plenty of work ahead of us, but we are more than excited to be doing what we love and do best. In the future, I hope to be more active on my blog, sharing things about my so very interesting life, of course, but also about events such as the launch & availability of new titles from GladEye Press, author bios, book signings, etc. If you are interested in becoming an author, please review our author guidelines page here, or you may contact us by phone at 541.747.4514 or via email at: snelson@gladeyepress.com or jvbolkan@gladeyepress.com with your submission ideas.







Douglas Russell (Rusty) Nelson

6.2.1953-11.30.2013


From the very beginning it was a love/hate relationship, as most sibling affiliations are; a push/pull/shove/tumultuous existence between two kids that didn’t ask to be brother and sister.

If he wasn’t using some manner of torture on me—forcing me to hit myself with my own fists, or holding me down and tickling me until I cried and/or peed my pants; ever asking me did I want a Charlie Horse? —then he was teasing me relentlessly, or interminably elbowing me in the backseat of the Rambler for miles on end on family road trips, or walking by and turning the channel when I was watching my favorite cartoon show (this was the pre-remote days), or playing keep away, or squirting me with a squirt gun or the garden hose, or maybe just nonchalantly strolling past me and delivering a well-timed poke…no reason, just because.

Yet, even though I was five years younger and smaller than him, I fought back. I had my own little devious ways of getting back at him; like hiding under his bed and trying not to giggle while he belted out “Hey Jude” with his pretend microphone while pretending to be a Beatle while practicing his fancy dance moves, or stealthily spying on him and jumping out of a pile of leaves to scare him or hiding his stuff or tattling on him, or any number of other things to which little sisters resort in an effort to survive childhood intact. That was the hate part. The love parts were those times when he wasn’t torturing, teasing, or tickling, but rather, was fixing the leak in my bike tire for me or letting me play a game with him or ride up on his shoulders, cracking me up with some hee-larious joke, or playing catch or listening to records or sticking up for me.

After we grew up I didn’t see my brother much anymore, but I remember one time, probably the last time we really did anything together. It was a road trip. My ex-husband was stranded up at Tahoe in the middle of winter. I called Rusty and asked if he could help me. Without hesitation, he said, “Sure, I can!” We hopped into his king-size passenger van and took off, turning the rock-n-roll songs up loud on the radio and singing along, talking, laughing, smoking cigarettes, and drinking strong, black coffee from his enormous thermos all the way to Tahoe. It was the best road trip ever.

If there is such a thing as an afterlife out there in the universe somewhere, I hope my big brother is on a road trip like that one; just rolling down a ribbon of highway somewhere listening to the Beatles and smoking cigarettes and drinking black coffee and having a rockin’ good time in the great whateverafter. You deserve it Rusty. You deserve it. Love always, your little sis, Sharleen

1 comment:

  1. Great memories! Reminded me of the torture my brothers inflicted on me... and the good times I had with Paul, who passed June 1, 2007.

    ReplyDelete